What is Thyroid?
The thyroid gland comes under the endocrine system, producing hormones for the proper bodily function such as regulating the body temperature, use energy, and brain functioning. The hormones secreted by the thyroid gland are carried by the blood to every tissue.
What are Thyroid Disorder?
Thyroid disorders are the problems affecting the thyroid gland. Here is a list of common problems which include thyroid disorders:
- Thyroid nodules
- Thyroid cancer
The thyroid hormone is also responsible for different procedure besides regulating body temperature such as:
- Body's metabolic rate as well as heart
- Digestive function
- Muscle control
- Brain development
- Mood and bone maintenance
When Do You Need thyroid Surgery?
There are different diseases associated with the thyroid gland that require the patient to go to the best thyroid surgery hospital. Following are the diseases that are treated by the surgical procedure:
- Nodule can arise in the thyroid gland that can be cancerous requiring patients to go for thyroid nodules surgery in Texas.
- Thyroid cancer is an issue that can be treated with thyroid removal surgery.
- Structural problems such as goiter or nodule can interfere with the activity like swallowing or eating as the trachea may be compressed due to the gland.
- The nodule and goiter can be the reason for the over-productive thyroid gland. The excessive release of the thyroid hormone can lead to several other problems in the body.
What Type of Surgery Do You Need?
The best thyroid surgeon will discuss the details of the thyroid nodule surgery before to prepare the patient for the day of surgery. Your surgeon will discuss either you are undergoing thyroidectomy or partial thyroidectomy. The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland consisting of two lobes that are connected by an isthmus that is the group of connective tissue. Thyroid removal surgery is classified depending on the extent of the surgery:
- An Open Thyroid Biopsy- In this the nodule excised directly.
- A hemithyroidectomy or thyroid lobectomy- The surgical procedure is done when there is a need to remove only one lobe.
- An isthmusectomy – The isthmus which is connective tissue needs to remove due to the presence of a tumor on it.
- Total Thyroidectomy- The surgical procedure for the complete removal of the thyroid gland
The extent of the surgery depends on the reasons that are discussed the need to be discussed with the doctor/surgeon. For, instance the thyroid nodules surgery may be used which is known as hemithyroidectomy in place of thyroid removal surgery.
Total thyroidectomy can be performed in the case of bi-lateral goiter or large thyroid cancer, and the thyroid cancer surgery cost will depend on the extent of the surgery. The extent of the surgery may be discussed with you but it is a very complex procedure, you still need to research properly before making any personal decision. However, complex it may sound to you but the best thyroid surgeon must discuss the procedure and so that you can discuss further with another doctor or endocrinologist to make your decision.
Complications and Post Thyroid Surgery side effects
Thyroid removal surgery may include the following side effects:
- bleeding, which occurs in the first few hours after surgery
- injury to the nerves that control the voice box
- injury to a parathyroid gland
Recovery Period after Thyroid Surgery
The day after the thyroid removal surgery, or until a doctor says it's safe to start again, patient can return to their regular activities. The doctor can test a person's thyroid hormone and calcium levels after surgery to check for hypothyroidism or hypoparathyroidism.